Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Intro

Q: Why call it "The Doubting Thomas Chronicles"? Isn't that kind of a retarded name?

A: Probably. But I call it that because I have a strong skeptic streak in me, a real aversion to authority or believing something just because other people believe it or because someone says I should. In fact, the more someone tells me to believe something, the more I want to disbelieve it. This got me into a lot of trouble in Jesuit theology classes, let me tell you.

Also, I'm catholic, and my confirmation name is Thomas. My mom and I came up with that name because there were 2 great figures in the early church by the name of Thomas: Thomas Aquinas, a brilliant theologian in the early church (brilliant for his time anyway, I'm not saying I buy into much of what he said), and Thomas the apostle, who doubted Jesus was actually resurrected and refused to believe it until some proof was shown him, in the form of the stigmata and the wound in Jesus' side from being stabbed by the spear when he was on the cross.

In Catholic theology classes, Thomas the Apostle is often referred to as Doubting Thomas (DT), and is subtly looked down on for being a little short in the blind faith department. But I view him as an early scientist, someone who demanded that some proof be shown to support the hypothesis that Jesus was resurrected. DT was way ahead of his time, both in terms of requiring scientific evidence to support assertions, and in terms of showing that in the end, science and faith are not, despite what the creationists on the one side and the atheists on the other would have you believe, mutually exclusive.

I am a Missourian, proud and stubborn as pretty much all Missourians are, and I don't believe anyone's say-so just 'cause. You've got to show me. DT, though not born in Missouri, is a Missourian in spirit. Like DT, I don't care if you're God Himself, whatever you've got to say, you'd better have some proof. And as for DT, for me science and faith are not mutually exclusive, but rather complementary ways of experiencing and coming to understand the wonder that is creation.

And so, DT and me have a lot in common, which is why I have named my blog The Doubting Thomas Chronicles. Since it will oscillate randomly between chronicling my life and conveying my opinions about things, it will in all likelihood be boring as shit. But whatever, you're reading it, that's your problem.

Peace.

No comments: